Monday, July 19, 2010

The Lotus Pond - Where Body, Mind & Spirit are Renewed

A friend of mine had been trying to get me to take a yoga class for years. She even taught a class right down the street from my home that I could attend for free, but I resisted. Why? I’m not really sure, but it all just seemed a little “intimidating” to me.  My body couldn’t possibly bend in all those postures, I thought to myself and I’m not a thin little nymph body-wise-- I’d be embarrassed. And so, with that mindset, I decided it was “not for me.”

Then I moved further south into Tampa and the pressures at work, bills and an ill parent were taking their toll on me. Red wine just didn’t work as a permanent solution, so I decided to learn what all this yoga “hype” was about. When I searched online for the nearest studio, I found The Lotus Pond which was located right around the corner from my little villa. I took it as “a sign” that it was about time I gave it a try. It just so happens that they have a 4-week introductory program, so I enrolled.  Owner Val Spies conducted the class and led the diverse group of us…men and women from early 20s to the more “golden” agers…in the basics of yoga and gently directed us through all the primary postures. I was amazed at the realization that it was actually fun! It was not only for thin little nymphs. It was for all ages and body types! Eureka! I was hooked!

After Val’s introductory classes, I tried the “Gentle Yoga” session by instructor Denise O’Dunn and I found my happy niche.  Being among the “youthful senior set” in age, I appreciated Denise’s instruction style. She always clearly communicates that our yoga practice is individual and unique to each person. She takes us at a slow relaxing pace through the postures and she frequently encourages each person to listen to their own body and perform each posture in a way that does not cause any pain or undue strain.  It’s not a competition! It’s about feeling good, lengthening your muscles in a gentle way and reducing stress and it works!

Obviously, some people are more flexible in some areas of the body than others. No matter. Denise, and all of the instructors are there for all students, no matter what level you’re at, to guide the class responsibly through a sequence of postures.  But they all remind every student that they know their own body best and should honor what is appropriate or not appropriate at any particular time for them.  

It amazed me that after attending a month of classes, twice a week , that I began experiencing more flexibility in many areas of my body. I felt more relaxed. My stress levels dropped and I always left my yoga practice feeling as though I had given myself a gift.  Can I do all the postures presented during every session like an expert? No, absolutely not, but I do what is right for me and I’m happy with the benefits. Who knows, as time goes by and I maintain my commitment to my yoga practice, I am convinced that I will continue to observe improvements in my posture and flexibility.

What’s really nice is that The Yoga Pond has everything you need in terms of equipment and mats right there on site. Just bring yourself and wear comfortable clothing you can stretch in. You will observe that it is customary to leave your shoes outside of the yoga classroom, but you’ll get all this good to know stuff at Val Spies’ introductory classes--or just ask any of the instructors before or after class. They’re all very nice people!

By the way, there’s a whole lot more than just yoga classes going on at both The Lotus Room and The Lotus Pond. Check out their calendar of events online for interesting classes and workshops.  And there’s more -- besides being an awesome yoga instructor, Denise O’Dunn is the president and founder of “Balance & Bliss,” an Ayurvedic lifestyle center conveniently located at The Lotus Pond.  It offers a full line of services such as consultations and treatments that honor the ancient art of Ayurveda. You can even schedule a therapeutic massage or sign up for an educational workshop.
Do yourself a favor and don’t procrastinate like I did for years! You deserve time to unwind, relax and stretch your body, mind and spirit. Get on the road to peace, health and bliss--do it today!

The Lotus Pond - 6201 Lynn Rd, one street north of Linebaugh, off of Anderson Rd.;  813-961-3160

No comments:

Post a Comment